Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Some Firsts for Max

His first Lacrosse game...His first suit...

His first time at Red Rocks...


His first Pinewood Derby...

Mitch and Max spent well over 20 hours on his first car (or should I say cars?) Max had two designs that he wanted to try, which was perfect because Mitch wanted him to build not just one car but a backup car, too! They both turned out pretty cool, and Joseph Robinson got to race with the backup car since he just turned 8 yesterday and didn't build a car. Max raced with the blue car, which he named "Lightning." He named the red one "Dr. Seuss."


This is one of Max's amazing Den Leaders, Kathy Anderson. She is the greatest lady and we feel so blessed that he gets to learn from her! Behind them is Mallory Hart, another fine leader of Max's. You can also see Brandi, Sterling and Lily, who came to cheer Max on.


The best part about the whole Pinewood experience was the father/son time that Max and Mitch got to have. Hours and hours of it. It was special for me to see. Max got to learn quite a bit about planning, designing, cutting, sanding (everyone knows you start with 80 grit, move on to 120, then 220, then 400 and then 600). Then there is painting, axel prep, wheel alignment, and so on and so on. I kept hearing terms like "center of mass," "friction reduction," "negative and positive toe," and "camber" (is there a physics badge? Mitch and Max should definitely earn father/son pocket protectors). Max even got to take a "Pinewood Derby" day off from school yesterday for the fine-tuning. I have to admit I was getting sick of parking outside for 2 weeks because the garage was a Derby shop, but when I thought of all their time together it made me smile. And that is what will be remembered for years to come.

5 comments:

sterlingandbrandi said...

This is a cute post! I'm not sure why you didn't mention that amongst all those firsts there was first place in the pinewood derby! Its not bragging when its backed by a lot of hardwork and father/son physics!

JKLCP said...

How fun! Max is such a good looking kid and Mitch is such a great man! You're so lucky! It will be fun when my boys are at this age. It's a good thing Jared will get to help them and not me. We wouldn't come anywhere near 1st place. :)

Devony said...

how fun for Mitch, Max, and all of you! what a special addition to your family and congrats on first place!

Brandon Vergara said...

i love you, i miss you!!! you guys look so great since the last time i saw you a couple of years ago!!

love
-Elder(Brandon) Vergara =]

StephieMae said...

How cute is Max I was so bummed when I missed the pinewood derby...mum says it was great though! Hope you guys are having a fantastic spring break-you doing anything fun?